If you have been building your business for a while, you have probably positioned yourself as a subject-matter expert in your particular niche or industry. You know what you know but it is also essential to your business that other people have a strong sense of what you know and what you can do for them too. Now is not the time to be humble. Let other people know how amazing you are. It is your time to shine.
The importance of letting people know about your capabilities
You may be wondering why it is so important (and necessary) to let other people know about you and your capabilities. It isn’t because you have the need to boast in order to feel important and superior. It is so that you can achieve the prize that you always ultimately work for–increased success and more revenue. In other words, you need to get more and more people to love your brand and to eventually buy what you are selling. You need the other people to understand without a doubt that you are the top in your field and that they would be remiss if they chose to go to anyone but you. If you can make that happen, it will most likely bring you more traffic, leads, prospects, and, eventually, clients.
At that point, you will be well on your way to becoming an influencer. If you have your eye on that particular prize, you will need to ensure that you possess certain attributes, which will get you there.
- Share your passion with other people: One of the most essential elements of your success (and that of your business) is the fact that you are human and that you are connecting with other humans. Your connection, interactions, communications, etc, will all have one thing in common: they will all have the element of emotion contained within them. There are several different ways in which you can share that passion with other people. One of the really good ways is by telling people your story. If you are genuine, sincere, and sensitive, your story will touch the other person on a deep level and there is a very high chance that the person who is listening to your story will have had the same experience too. That is exactly why your story is so effective and so important. The other person can relate to it easily (even if the memory is painful for him or her). In fact, on some level, if your story uncovers a painful memory, that is actually a good thing because it will make the other person feel as though he or she is not alone in the world. You understand exactly how that person feels because you have been there.
- Plan your marketing strategy very carefully: Passion is exceedingly important; however, it must be combined with other important elements as well. The elements will need to work together to achieve the perfect end. It is very important for you to remember that your success was not obtained by accident and it wasn’t obtained overnight. You have worked long and hard to get where you are today. You deserve to not only share your expert status with other people but you have also earned the right to tell other people the story of exactly how you got to where you are now. It is a lesson that they can apply to their own story.
Of course, there is no doubt that your online and in-person marketing strategy must include elements of your expertise. After all, you are working with other people because you have gotten to this point by pouring your blood, sweat, and tears into your business and into yourself.
- Feed your target audience a steady diet of your knowledge and expertise: It is true that you need to boost your reputation and exposure to secure your position as subject-matter expert. However, before you can achieve that, you must make sure that the knowledge that you possess is everything that it needs to be at this point. Otherwise, people will know. In one sense, your position is like being at the top of a house of cards. If your foundation is not solid enough, one wrong move can make the whole thing collapse. However, do not despair! You would never allow yourself to get to the top without building up the bottom first.
- Make sure that your target audience is identified and reliable: Your target audience is at the core of your success, always. As much as you wish to increase your exposure and reputation, you must still start with a manageable number of people in your target audience.
Once you have set up your target audience, you can expand without too much to worry about. At that point, you will want to work on letting people understand how much you know and how much you can help them. There are several approaches you can take for that, including online and face-to-face networking, generating a large volume of content, giving presentations on appropriate topics, and forming strategic partnerships.
- Develop your communication skills to a very high level: If you have any hope of expanding your expert reach, you will have to communicate extremely effectively. If you haven’t been comfortable up to this point with giving presentations, it is time to develop that particular skill. It will absolutely take you very far indeed. In fact, if you have been doing your best to avoid communicating, embrace it with all that you’ve got. It is the only way to conquer the fear.
- Your ability to successfully teach what you know: It is one thing to have a great deal of knowledge on a certain subject but it is another thing entirely to be able to teach that knowledge to other people. That is the true gift. If you are really going to be respected and elevated to the next level because of your expertise, you need to be able to give that knowledge to others. It is the old adage, “Teach a man to fish.” If you hand a fish to a man, he eats once. If you teach him to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
It is important to remember that you need to let yourself shine. However, exactly how you make that happen is really up to you. You may want to approach it through the content that you generate, or by delivering presentations, or by having more intimate, personal interactions with people with whom you wish to develop relationships. All of those are critical to your success and each one deserves an equal amount of attention. Of course, it is all in the relationship. Your only job initially is to share what you know with others. As long as you shine, it doesn’t matter how you got there.
Source by Michael Cohn